When we are building an ecommerce site, clients often ask which e-commerce platform is right for them. Magento vs Opencart …which one?
Our answer… there is no one-size-fits-all solution for ecommerce. It all depends on your needs, the number of products, and the capabilities you want to integrate into your new site. The world of e-commerce has a huge range of available solutions.
First you need to answer some questions.
- Do you work with a professional web dev company or a budget to do so?
- Are you looking to get your products online fast or are you looking to have a flexible custom solution with total control for enhanced UX?
- Do you want to sell outside of the US?
- Are you looking for a hosted e-commerce solution
- Is SEO performance a top priority?
- Will you be running multiple stores?
- How important is support?
- What is your budget?
- Is SEO a top priority?
- What is your e-commerce content strategy?
- Do you need to integrate your ecommerce with a WordPress blog?
Magento and OpenCart have some similar advantages and features:
- Both are open source ecommerce platforms, neither limit users
- Both are popular and have huge developer communities for support
- Both are developed in PHP
- Both are global ecommerce platforms supporting multiple languages and most currencies
- Both are resource rich with add on products and plugins
- Both can be maintained and updated easily by non-programmers
Open Cart is great for start-ups and speed to market. It provides a powerful ecommerce shopping cart and great tools.